History of Trolleybus Transport
In comparison with trams, transport by trolleybus was developed later. Its beginning on 14 February 1941 was marked by the opening of the first trolleybus service from the Gornobanski Pat stop to Gorna Banya. The line was 3.3 km long and was serviced by only two trolleybuses.
Until the end of the Second World War, the function of trolleybus transport was difficult due to various reasons; the main one being the war and the impossibility to have spare parts delivered from abroad in order to maintain the fleet and the electrical grid, as well as to buy new trolleybuses to increase its size.
This trolleybus line remained unchanged until 1947 when, with the delivery of 10 MBT-82 trolleybuses the USSR, trolleybus transport started to develop at a fast rate.
On 01.01.1952 the newly-constructed Stochna Gara Depot was put into operation. Its capacity was 60 trolleybuses.
Having gained the necessary know-how Bulgaria began the manufacture of TB-51 (MTB082) trolleybuses in 1951.
The Nadezhda Depot with a capacity of 100 trolleybuses was put into operation in 1961.
The delivery of Czech Skoda-9Tp trolleybuses with contactor control began in 1964.
In 1986 were delivered 12 second-hand MAH trolley buses of the articulated variety.
control and 70 ZiU 682 with contactor control.
As the capacity of the existing Nadezhda Depot was filled in 1987, a new depot named Iskar was built with a capacity of 130 trolleybuses, while Levski Rank with a capacity of 60 trolleybuses was put into operation in 1994.
In 1994 the TRAMCAR Company manufactured 1 TK-130 trolleybus with electronic contactor control, which was put into regular operation in 1997.
The development of the trolleybus fleet accompanied the construction of the trolleybus network, the total length of which is 257 km. As at 2006 trolleybus transport conveys passengers on 9 lines with total length of 193 km. On working days there are 102 trolleybuses in operation.