History of Bus Transport
Unlike the other types of transport, buses were latecomers to the service of public transport in Sofia.
During the war some of the vehicles were destroyed by the bombing and othe
rs were decommissioned due to lack of spare parts. In 1944, 1945 and 1946 bus transport was performed only by the 8 available vehicles.
The first bus depot named 'Hristo Mihaylov' and capable of holding 60 buses was built 1949. Fifteen LAZ buses made in Lvovski Automobile Factory were delivered around the same time.
In 1950 there was a delivery from the Czech Republic of 11-meter Skoda RTO buses.
In January 1952, the Sofia Autotransport Company was established.
It was under the direct management of the Municipality of Sofia and included freight transport (consisting mainly of ZIS and ZIS-pyat vehicles), buses and taxies.
On 22.06.1959 Sofia Autotransport Company became a subsidiary of Urban Passenger Transport Company until 01.07.1964 when it was separated as an independent division of the same company called Branch-2.
A total of 919 articulated buses and 478 single ones were delivered during the period of 1980-1988 to replace the decommissioned and scrapped buses.
On 01.07.1987 were incorporated three independent bus companies: Bus Division (AP)-1 Zemlyane, AP-2 Malashevtsi, AP-3 Druzhba. In
In 1990 was created the fourth municipal company for bus transport – FAT-4 Republika.
In the beginning of 1993 the four municipal companies were included in the fleet of the newly established Capital Company for Urban Transport EOOD.
The new modern buses delivered in the following 5 years came in 1996 – 30 Chavdar 141 – articulated, with MAN units and made by the plant in Botevgrad.
In the last ten years, most of the old Ikarus and Chavdar buses were replaced with second-hand Mercedes buses in a very good technical condition.
Other new buses were purchased in 1998 – 41 articulated Mercedes345 and 21 single MAN vehicles. Mercedes 0345 bus, Mercedes 0305 bus.
In December 2002 the company was restructured and reincorporated as the independent EAD Capital Autotransport.
As at 2002 SGKT Autotransport AD had conveyed passengers on 95 lines with total length of 1,210 km. There were 463 buses operating the lines.